Bringing you the news highlights of our times, with wisdom and humor from courageous communicators.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

New Zealand Commits to 90% Renewable Electricity by 2025

September 26, 2007

New Zealand Commits to 90% Renewable Electricity by 2025

Wellington, New Zealand [RenewableEnergyAccess.com]

In a speech this week, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clarke announced New Zealand's intention to commit to 90% renewable electricity by 2025, according to a press release issued by the New Zealand government.

The country already uses 70% renewable electricity, primarily hydro- and geothermal power and will continue to increase its use of renewables over the next 20 years.

Eventually, the Prime Minister would like to see the country carbon-neutral. “I have set out the challenge to our nation to become the first truly sustainable nation on earth…to dare to aspire to be carbon neutral," Prime Minister Clarke said.

The Prime Minister also gave a brief outline of further goals, which included a 2040 target of reducing by half per capita emissions from transport and widely introducing electric vehicles. She also stated the goal of achieving a net increase in forest area of 250,000 hectares (617,000 acres) by 2020.

“The long-term benefits of becoming a sustainable nation will spread beyond our national reputation and success in business to benefit all New Zealanders,” Prime Minister Clarke added.

Further announcements will be made in the coming weeks as the government releases the New Zealand Energy Strategy, the New Zealand Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy and the Transport Strategy Implementation Plan. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Jonathan Cole - Editor

Jonathan Cole - Editor
A Quantum Mechanic in the instantaneous, infinite, information matrix

About Me

Hawaii
Counting My Blessings.... I have been a laborer, a student, an athlete, an explorer, a scientist, an inventor, a writer, an editor, a teacher, a President, a leader, an artist, a musician, a producer, a factory worker, a pin setter, an owner, a founder, a mechanic, a stone worker, a restorer, a technologist, an engineer, an executive, a father, a housekeeper, a house builder, a singer, a songwriter, a poet, a dancer, a child, an adult, I have been educated I have known the creator. I have loved deeply. I have lived on the edge of the possible. I have lived without fear on an active volcano. I have felt the soul of human suffering. I have shed tears for lost friends and strangers. I been a friend. I have been loved. I have been acknowledged. I have been trusted. I have been hopeful. I have been thrilled. I have been inspired. I have planned. I have improvised. I have gambled. I have won. I have experienced the finest of stuff. I have known some exceptional people.